I missed this, but the EBA released last month a Fintech roadmap setting out the steps and milestones for the upcoming year. Among the interesting work, as per lexology:
- promoting cybersecurity standards and best practices
- reviewing consumer protection approaches across the EU’s borders
- identifying money laundering risks
- mapping the authorisation and licensing approaches and procedures applied by competent authorities when authorising firms adopting innovative FinTech business models.
- conducting analysis of regulatory sandboxes
Of course, the EBA does not have the authority, at least not yet, to engage in its own independent rule making and requires the Commission’s sign-on for regulatory initiatives. Still, expect a larger role alongside the ECB in overseeing the fintech marketplace.